April 23, 2013

Art techniques on cards....Gesso and modeling paste

I'm back today to share a few more art techniques I tried out on the Mixed Florals Card Kit.  For the first technique today I'm using a sheet of the dictionary paper paired with Gesso from the Mixed Media Kit + acrylic paint mixed with water to create a spray mist.  
I spread some Gesso onto the book paper with the palette knife included in the Mixed Media Kit.  I then misted the page with the spray ink.  The result was a soft, altered page that made a perfect background for some other layers and embellishments. 
When you spread on the Gesso to create heavy layers in some spots that leaves a great place for little card sentiments whether you stamp them or type them out and cut them apart like I did below.  
The next technique I tried spreading modeling past onto tags from the card kit using the palette knife and a Pink Paislee stencil.  I then sprayed more paint mist on top, leaving some of the modeling paste white.  
As you can see my colors from my work room are off from the real tags once they dried but you still get the idea.  I love that these look somewhat like old wallpaper with the raised finish.  I'll definitely be trying this out again on cards and such.  If you want more of a worn look you can sand off some of the ink with a fine grit sand paper or sanding block. On a few of the tags, I just spread Gesso with no stencil.
Sometimes when creating a card you'll notice you have some big spaces with not much going on.  Or perhaps you made a mistake and smudged some ink, etc.  
Adding modeling paste with a stencil and a palette knife onto cards is a great way to add some textured interest.  It can cover up those little mistakes or just add another point of interest for the eye to land on.  Here I used a Pink Paislee stencil to add a design to an open area on my card.  I like to create an organic shaped area instead of using the entire stencil or rigid boundaries.  
Here's the finished card once the modeling paste dried and I added the other embellishments.  I really love the look of the modeling paste here.  
That's it for today.  Thanks for stopping by.  :)  I'll be sharing some Project Life pages soon + a page from my Dylusions art journal.  

5 comments:

Alina Art said...

Love, love, love your works!
:)

Unknown said...

Oh what fun you are having with these new techniques. I can't wait to find some time to play around & see what I can do. I found my gesso this a.m. before I had to leave for work. Thanks so much for the inspiration. I'm really enjoying your art adventures.

Michaela said...

love your cards and tags. Thanks so much for the inspiration!!

Michaela said...

love your cards and tags. Thanks so much for the inspiration!!

gestempeltundnichtgedruckt.blogspot.de said...

Hey, these cards are very, very nice - I like them very much - I would love to try them, too.
Nice greetings
Dani

Related Posts with Thumbnails